Friday, December 17, 2010

Real Life > Cataclysm

Mondays are usually a good day for me. After all, many of the podcasts I listen to are uploaded to iTunes before I leave for work, I keep up-to-date on the latest WoW-related tweets via my iPod Touch, and then I come home from a long night's work to a good hour or so of quality WoW time. Well, that's how it use to be...instead, I was moved to first shift this week and was reminded why I use to not like Mondays. It's more or less the opposite of the scenario I just mentioned. I'm days behind on tweets, trying to catch up on DMs and mentions, and listening to the podcasts is like being the last guy to laugh at a joke; everyone's already gotten the punchline, busted a gut and I'm just starting in. The inaugural week of first shift is now over and as I brace for the start of winter semester, I'm reminded that I still have this tiny little blog that is gaining more attention from random people and guildies. So, I have three rogues in different parts of the "world" in completely different scenarios.

Role Call!
Somehow in all the chaos that real life brings, my Night Elf rogue just hit 84 today. Slowly, like a deadly poison DoT, I've chipped away at the leveling experience and am one step closer to our new level cap and some heroic dungeons. I've purposely saved the instances for two reasons: 1) Rogues are a DPS class, queue times are INSANE, so my limited game time is better spent questing and 2) I'm a bit of a lore nerd. The lore I've come across while questing is like reading a Christie Golden novel with time in between the pages to jam a couple of daggers in someones back...and it's OK, 'cuz those were honorable kills. I'm a pre-Burning Crusade player; questing use to be a virtual version of the Chinese water torture, slow and painful, but now it's actually a pretty enjoyable aspect of the game. The quest rewards scale well with the content and don't have that "clown costume" look we're use to; unfortunately though, the leather gear still looks horrendous at this point, just not multicolored.

The Worgen rogue is now fully rested at level 10. He has no heirlooms, no 16+ slot bags, no 100 gold allowance like I normally give my alts. Just quest rewards and a couple of gathering professions (mining & herbalism) are what I have to work with on him. After publishing this post, I'm going to jump on him for a bit and see how the questing goes with some rested experience. I haven't played him in a week, which was typical of my experience when I first started playing WoW. It took me to around level 20 on my first toon before I caught the WoW "bug" and I think that's more the norm than the all-out addiction from level 1 that we occasionally hear about or that the media portrays. I'd love to go on about the media portrayal of WoW, but I'll save that for another post as I have one more rogue to talk about.

Brutaldemise is my level 30 Forsaken rogue, also on Windrunner. He was the first toon I leveled with the new zones and I really loved seeing the Horde side of things. Granted, I have a level 80 Blood Elf hunter, but I stuck to the "Belf" storyline as long as I could before going to Tarren Mill. He's parked in Stranglethorn right now until I have the desire to continue on with him, which likely won't be until my Worgen is up to that point.

Next Time
Next post will be on the post-level 10 content for the Worgen and hopefully a little "What to do at level 85" information too. I'm not going to blog about something I know nothing about, so I'll post it here after I have some experience with it. My next post will also be up in less time than this one took. There was some MAJOR adjustment that had to happen this week between work, preparation for school, and my other  full-time job of being a husband to my wife and father to three young boys. I can log in any day at any time and all of my rogues are going to be right where I left them, children and spouses don't work that way. Those are the reasons why Taivor will never be the top rogue in WoW or in a really aggressive progression guild. Raiders of the Dawn has been good to me. The people are kind, helpful, and mildly dysfunctional (in a good way), and they're kind of like my digital family. A quick shoutout to my good buddy Kazzar, I hope all is well with you my friend. You're keeping your priorities straight and I admire you for that! Remember everyone: "War is the statesman's game, the priest's delight, the lawyrer's jest, and the hired assassin's trade."
~Percy Bysshe Shelley


 

No comments:

Post a Comment